Sunday, February 7, 2010

8. Observe and Report (2009, Comedy)

Movie #8: Observe and Report (2009, Comedy)

I love comedy. I love Seth Rogen. I did not love this movie. Some of Rogen's most recent projects (this little number as well as Pineapple Express; I cannot speak for the others as I have not seen them) have been really disappointing.

I can see why a certain subgroup of the world's population (straight males, ages 14-20) might enjoy this movie: lots of "guy humor" (bodily functions and sex jokes), gratuitous shots of Anna Faris' cleavage, a familiar setting ... but the movie leaves a lot to be desired in terms of Rogen's character development.

I get that this is comedy and is not supposed to be anything particularly introspective -- but good comedy can do that. In Freaks and Geeks (and even in Knocked Up), there was some apparent character growth. Yes, this is more a fault of the writers than of the actor, but Rogen's been working for long enough that he should know better than to choose such an awful script.

As I watched this movie, I heard line after line that I was sure would wind up being repeated by drunken frat boys nationwide ... and I don't think that's a great image to have in your mind (unless, of course, you are watching the timeless Animal House).

This movie was mostly too much fucked-up brand humor ... so much so that it stopped being funny and was instead just fucked up. And it dragged on forever.

Final Grade: D+
This movie was watched on 2/07/10.
This blog was posted online February 13th, but was postdated for continuity.

No comments:

Post a Comment