Sunday, February 28, 2010

13. Milk (2008, Biopic)

13. Milk (2008, Biopic)

Nicely done. Especially great in terms of the aesthetic it presented. Very 1970s. Delicious acting from James Franco and Emile Hirsch in particular. Both were very convincing in who they were and what their characters believed. I hate, hate hated Diego Luna’s character ... but I think that is what was intended by the filmmaker. I just couldn't get over how beautiful Franco and Penn looked together.


Overall, I found the movie to be very respectfully and honestly made even as it dragged somewhat. Actually, that is putting it lightly. My girlfriend and I both found ourselves saying "This is a really great movie ... but it is SO LONG!" We both reacted emotionally to this film, which is also important as it is part of our ... heritage, I guess you could say.


It was very hard to watch Milk dragged away from his moral center (Franco) – and what is sadder is that we only saw the soul-diminishing rise to the top and not the redemption, the return to the flock. I understand that that is part of why this was such a tragedy, that so much of Milk's plans would go unrealized as his life was cut painfully short.


Final Grade: A-


No comments:

Post a Comment