Saturday, April 14, 2012

#9, Winter's Bone

Earlier this week I saw The Hunger Games and I must admit, before it was released that Jennifer Lawrence would play Katniss, I had never heard of her before. Once she was announced, I read up on her and saw that she was in this movie, which received all kinds of nominations. Since then, it has been on my radar and tonight I finally took the plunge.

#9 Winter's Bone (2010, drama)

What I did not like:
- There were too many characters for my poor little head to keep track of. Maybe there was an appropriate number of characters and they were all too similar.
- I had a hard time getting into the story. While I understand it was an artistic choice, the In Media Res did not work for me here. I found myself asking too many questions about how this family got into such dire circumstances. I was left with an inability to care about what wound up happening to her father.
- It ended way too abruptly for me!

What I really DID like:
- Jennifer Lawrence is SUPER great in this. I can really see her doing some wonderful things as her career progresses.
- The other actors are very decent as well -- but as I said before, they all kind of blurred together for me.
- I can read this as a sort of update of Ethan Frome in a way. And that was really likeable.
- There was some GREAT music.

Final Grade: C+
On another day, it might have gotten a B-, but I'm still reeling from seeing Bully yesterday and this one left me kind of cold, emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment