Saturday, April 14, 2012

#8, Turn Me On, Dammit

For part 2 of my double feature at the Angelika, I checked out a Norwegian flick I'd just read a review for:

#8: Turn Me On, Dammit (2011, comedy)

Just like the reviewer in this NPR review, I found myself frequently remembering the 1998 film from Sweden that any young lesbian well remembers: Show Me Love.

This movie follows Alma -- a nearly-16-year-old girl who is, like most of her peers, obsessed with sex. Alma has a vivid imagination and spends a lot of time imagining herself in sexual encounters with just about everyone she comes across -- most notably Artur (who looks eerily like my junior-year-of-high-school boyfriend). I remember this time like it was yesterday -- knowing that sex was about to become a really important part of your life, but not having the experience/knowledge to know how to address it. Through an unfortunate event involving a penis-jab and mean girl jealousy (intrigued yet?), Alma winds up an outcast with the hilarious nickname "Dick Alma."

More than anything, this is a script full of deadpan humor... but there is something really, really awkward about it. I have not yet decided if this is good awkward or bad awkward, but I do know that it was just ... off somehow. There were scenes that seemed unnecessary and that served no real purpose (either in character or plot development). Moreover, while the actor who plays Alma is certainly a skilled artist (I can't wait to see what she does next!), she is way too attractive for me to believe that she'd have trouble finding a willing sex partner.

Final Grade: B+
Though there was something really weird about it, this was a totally pleasant way to spend 86 minutes of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment